Pharmacognosy deals with medicines derived from natural sources and it involves the study of the physical, chemical, biochemical and biological properties of molecules of natural origin, obtained from plants, animals, minerals and marine sources so as to ascertain their potential as lead drug molecules. Pharmacognosy is interdisciplinary branch involving a broad spectrum of biological and socio-scientific topics, including botany, ethno botany, marine biology, herbal medicine, phytochemistry, plant biotechnology – tissue culture, production of secondary metabolites and development of herbal formulations. WHO has estimated that majority of all the global inhabitants depend on curative natural systems of medicine for their primary health needs and these systems are largely of traditional origin. The department of Pharmacognosy focuses on research based on evaluation of medicinal plants including isolation, purification, identification and structural elucidation of bioactive molecules and development & standardization of herbal formulations.
Research Grants Received: Total Amount : 10.5 Lakhs
- Received Research grant of Rs. 2,00,000/- (Rs. Two lakhs) from University of Pune for “Preparation and evaluation of a novel wound healing formulation using extract of Kalanchoe pinnata, Curcuma longa and honey.”
- Research grant of Rs. 3,00,000/- (Rs. Three lakhs) from University of Pune for “Investigation of Indian Medicinal plants for evaluation of Adaptogenic & Antihyperlipidemic activity.”
- Research grant of Rs. 2,00,000/- (Rs. Two lakhs) from University of Pune for “Development and Pharmacological investigation of Nasal Herbal Formulation.”
- Research grant of Rs. 1,70,000/- from Savitribai Phule Pune University for research project titled “ Development and standardization of lozenges and jellies from raditional churnas and chatans”.
- Research grant of Rs. 1,80,000/- Savitribai Phule Pune University for project titled” Development and standardization of herbopathic formulations”.